DIY Package on the internet, but warn that it cannot assist with issues such as child custody, visitation rights, child support or equitable division of property. All of these issues are common in divorces and should be handled by an attorney with experience.
At Charles R. Ullman & Associates we recommend that both partners in a divorced marriage meet with a divorce attorney separately to discuss their respective goals and get professional advice. If you don’t take care, making decisions on your own during a divorce can have a negative impact on your financial future.
A divorce lawyer with experience knows what the judge is looking for in a divorce petition, and also the questions that the judge wants answered before granting the divorce. A divorce attorney can review the separation agreement and ensure that your rights are protected. A lawyer will ensure that you don’t overlook any issues which could hurt you in the future.
Let our experienced divorce lawyers in DC help you move forward. We can help you with any divorce, no matter how complicated or simple it is. Call us today to start the process.
Why You Need an Attorney for Divorce
- Legal knowledge. A knowledgeable guide will make your journey easier. A North Carolina divorce attorney is familiar with the process, which includes a separation period of one year and a equitabledivision of marital assets. They also know how to resolve custody issues. A divorce lawyer can help you avoid unnecessary conflicts and create a separation agreement which protects your rights and is fair.
- Consistent guidance. Even if you think that your divorce will be amicable, emotions can run high. Marriages break up for many reasons. When negotiating financial issues such as child and spousal maintenance, friendly relationships can quickly turn sour.
An attorney who specializes in divorce can provide legal advice and help you resolve conflicts. They will also ensure that you do not sign anything that is against your best interests.
- You may also be able pursue an alternative path if you and your spouse agree on the general terms of your separation and divorce. The goal of this approach is to bring you and your spouse together at the table while you both work through issues with the help of your attorneys. Mediation can be used if there are still issues, but both parties are willing to work together in good faith. A neutral mediator will facilitate the discussion between the two of you in order to reach an agreement. Some mediators specialize in collaborative divorce mediation.
Ask about the experience of your lawyer in alternative dispute resolution when you are looking for a divorce attorney. With the help of an experienced family lawyer, couples in divorce can achieve a forward-looking solution to their disputes.
- Financial protection. Most people do not realize that divorce can be a serious financial issue. The transition from a combined income to a single income can result in a reduced standard of living. divorce can have a negative impact on income, and it can drain retirement savings. Many divorcees face financial difficulties because of the money they agreed to give their spouses.
An experienced divorce attorney will protect you financially. It is important to ensure that spousal maintenance is reasonable and fair.
Whether you receive or pay support, it is important to choose the right option for your situation. If financial disputes cannot be resolved by negotiation, a court order may be necessary.
- Protect your rights. Many unhappy couples think that they only want to get out of the marriage and do not care what may be left behind. You have a right to all the property you owned before your marriage. The division of debts and property are frequently contested issues.
A North Carolina divorce lawyer will classify your assets and assign a value to each asset. It may be necessary to sell property to achieve an equitable distribution. To ensure you get what you’re due, you must first identify and value marital assets.